Friday, December 11, 2020

Post Pandemic Bucket List

Written  eight months ago. Not a lot has changed

A Post-Pandemic Bucket List

Like a lot of those sheltering in place, I’m currently busy with home chores that I’ve been putting off. I’ve done my taxes, I finished a manuscript, I’m going through and organizing cupboards. Above all, I’ve made the big move to tackle the basement. It is like an archeological dig. “Oh there’s that Christmas ornament I lost years ago. How did it get in the yarn basket?” “Do we really need our college text books from thirty years ago?” “How many Christmas tree stand does one family need?” “Wow. Here’s the lid for that pot we gave away.”

Living in a house for over forty years we have often just put things in the basement in a less than organized way.Offspring moving out and moving back in have added to the "accumulation."

 I now have clear plastic boxes of various sizes. I’m using them for specific categories, donate, give as gifts to younger friends, sell, or store in a better way. After a few hours each day I feel productive and more in control. That feeling is more valuable now, in the face of a situation where we have little control.

But, I’m also thinking and planning for the post pandemic time. It will be a time when my house will be organized and tidy, but more important when I can again spend time with friends. Fortunately, many of the limitations during the quarantine and pandemic are temporary. We may not live long enough to see our IRAs return to previous levels, but we will be able to meet friends for walks and have groups for dinner. My daughter and I are planning various events and doing some background tasks in preparation. 

Things we have taken for granted are not possible right now, As the saying goes, “You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.” We are staying busy to avoid a lot of handwringing, but in addition to the long delayed chores we are thinking about what is important to us. We are making our post pandemic bucket list. 

Though we are occupied with chores and planning future celebration, we are also mindful of ways to address the needs of those that are challenged now and will be in the future. There are charitable organizations that are working over time and we have connected with them. We don’t need to wait until after the pandemic to pay attention to the ever present difficulties of our neighbors.Thatcan be on our current bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment